Rapid Legal Services Proprietary Limited trading as Rapid Payments, registration number 2019/414709/07 (“Rapid Payments“, “we”, “us” or “our”) is committed to ensuring the protection of the privacy of all visitors (“Visitors”) to our website and any related mobi-sites or software applications which are accessible at www.rapidpayments.africa (the “Website”), payment platform (“Platform”) and mobile application (“App”), as well as all persons (“Customers”) who have subscribed to any of the services we offer (“Services”), whether they be ‘Rapid Payments Consumer App’ users (“App Users”) or payment receivers (“Merchants”).
It is important that you read this Policy with our Website Terms and any additional terms and conditions and policies incorporated in this Policy by reference. Each App User and Merchant needs to accept all the provisions in this Policy when he/she/it signs up for any of our Services. If you do not agree with anything in this Policy, then you may not register and/or use any of the Services.
You may not access the Website, App or Platform or use the Services if you are younger than 18 years old or do not have legal capacity to conclude legally binding contracts. Unless we clearly state otherwise when providing certain Services, we do not have any intention of collecting or processing any personal information from individuals under 18 years of age.
By accepting this Policy, accessing our Website or using our Services, you are regarded as having read and agreed with this Policy.
We may amend this Policy at any time by posting a revised version on our Website. The revised version will apply to Visitors with effect from the time we post it.
we will provide Customers with at least 30 days’ prior notice of any such revision by posting notice of the change in the “Policy Updates” page of the Website and, subject to 1.2 below, the revision will then apply to Customers with effect from the date indicated in such notice, provided that if a Customer is not happy with the revisions made, he/she/it shall be entitled to terminate the Services subscribed for;
any revisions so made during the fixed initial period of any Service subscribed for by a Customer (if applicable) will only apply to such Customer after the expiry of such initial period.
GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT ANYONE
1. Types of Information we collect
As a Visitor, App User or Merchant, you agree that we may electronically collect, store and use the following of your information for the purposes set out in clause 2.3 below:
- additional information you may provide on a voluntary basis, such as demographic information or information related to your favourite social networking site (e.g. the site name, address and description), or information relating to your participation in competitions, promotions, surveys, and/or additional services (“Optional Details”).
2. How we collect such information
- Voluntarily provided by you: Optional Details may be submitted by you to us if you decide to upload or download certain content (or products) from the Website, App or Platform, enter competitions, take advantage of promotions, respond to surveys, register and subscribe for certain additional services, or otherwise use the optional features and functionality of the Website, App or Platform.
- Automatically gathered via various technologies:
- Other tracking technology: When you access the Website, App or Platform or open one of our HTML emails, certain Usage Details may be automatically collected and recorded by us from your system by using different types of tracking technology.
- Web Beacons: Our Website may contain electronic image requests (called a “single-pixel gif” or “web beacon” request) that allow us to count page views and to access cookies. Any electronic image viewed as part of a web page (including an ad banner) can act as a web beacon. Web beacons are typically 1-by-1 pixel files (so small that you would likely not realize that they are there), but their presence can usually be seen within a browser by clicking on “View” and then on “Source.” We may also include web beacons in HTML-formatted newsletters that we send to opt-in subscribers in order to count how many newsletters have been read. Rapid Payments web beacons do not collect, gather, monitor or share any personally identifiable information about our Customers, they are just the technique we use to compile anonymous information about the Website and Service usage.
- From our affiliates: We collect some personal information automatically from other divisions or companies (such as, for example, MultiChoice)
3. The purpose for which we collect this information
- We may use any Optional Details provided by you for such purposes as indicated to you at the time you agree to provide such Optional Details.
- We may use your Usage Details to:
- automatically provide you with the latest version of the Rapid Payments application on your system;
- remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you access the Website, App or Platform;
- monitor aggregate Website usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages accessed; and
- track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities in connection with your usage of the Website, App or Platform.
- We use information from our affiliates to supplement information you have provided to us, provide joint content and services like registration, transactions and customer support, to help detect and prevent potentially illegal acts and violations of our policies, and to guide decisions about their products, services and communications.
INFORMATION ABOUT CONSUMER mPAY App USERS
1. Types of information we collect about App Users
If you are an App User, you agree that we may also electronically collect, store and use the following of your information:
- name and surname, identity number and/or passport number, gender, country of residence, and nationality (“Personal Details”);
- e-mail address, mobile number, and credit card billing address (“Contact Details”);
- the credit card number, cardholder name and expiration date you submit to Rapid Payments in respect of your credit card(s), in accordance with the App User Agreement (“Card Details”);
2. How we collect information about App Users
Rapid Payments collects the aforesaid information from you in the following manner:
- User-provided Information: Your Personal Details, Contact Details and Card Details will provided by you directly to us during your registration as an App User and/or thereafter by your actively updating or supplementing such details in the Rapid Payments Consumer mPAY Application.
- Merchant-provided information: During your registration as a App User, we may collect from the person you wish to pay via the internet using the Services (such person hereinafter referred to as a “Merchant”), such of your Personal Details, Contact Details and/or Card Details as you may have already submitted to such Merchant, without you having to re-enter such information. However, prior to doing so, we shall notify you thereof and request your consent thereto.
3. The purposes for which Rapid Payments collects the information
Rapid Payments uses the information that App Users provide (or that we collect) to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features of the Services, and as may be necessary to comply legally as a payment service provider. More specifically:
- We use your Card Details in order to provide the Services (including the verification thereof when you transact with Merchants) and, should fees be charged for some of the Services and you have selected a credit card as your means of payment therefor, to debit such credit card for such fees owed by you.
- We use your Personal Details to greet you when you access your App User Account, to manage and administer your use of the Services and fulfil our contractual obligations, including by verifying your identity when you transact with a Merchant. We may also share your Personal Details with the platform provider via which you agreed to sign up for a Rapid Payments App even if such sign up occurred on our Website.
- We use your Contact Details to verify your identity and to inform you of facts relating to your use of the Services (e.g. notifications regarding major updates or content you have posted or downloaded from the Website or Platform, customer service notifications, and to address copyright infringement or defamation issues) as well as to inform you, subject to obtaining your prior consent, of competitions, promotions and special offers from us and/or our partners and/or affiliates.
INFORMATION ABOUT MERCHANTS
1. Types of information we collect about Merchants
If you are a Merchant, you also agree that we may electronically collect, store and use the following of your information:
- If you are an individual, your full name/s, birth date, identity number and/or passport number, gender, country of residence, and nationality (“Personal Details”);
- If you are a legal entity, your full name, registration number, country of incorporation (“Corporate Details”), and the Personal Details of all your directors and/or office bearers;
- e-mail address, mobile number, and such other contact details as provided in the Merchant Application Form (“Contact Details”);
- your bank account details (“Bank Account Details”).
2. How we collect information about Merchants
You provide the aforesaid information directly to Rapid Payments in the Application Form you submit to Rapid Payments during your registration as a Merchant and thereafter should you actively update or supplement such details in your Merchant Account.
3. The purposes for which Rapid Payments collects the information
Rapid Payments uses the information that Merchants provide to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and Services provided to Merchants and as may be necessary to comply legally as a payment service provider. More specifically:
- We use your Banking Details and Corporate Details (or Personal Details, as the case may be) in order to provide the Services and fulfil our contractual obligations, including by verifying your identity and your bank account information when transaction with a App User, the payment to you of funds due to you, or debiting of fees due by you.
- We use your Contact Details to verify your identity and to inform you of facts relating to your use of the Services (e.g. notifications regarding scheduled system maintenance or downtime, major updates, customer service notifications, and to address copyright infringement or defamation issues) as well as to inform you, subject to obtaining your prior consent, of competitions, promotions and special offers form us and/or our partners and/or affiliates.
HOW WE PROTECT AND STORE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We store and process the personal information of our App Users, Merchants and Visitors on our computers in South Africa, and we protect it by maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards in compliance with applicable Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS). We use computer safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption, we enforce physical access controls to our buildings and files, and we authorize access to personal information only for those employees who require it to fulfil their job responsibilities.
You should not divulge your account password to anyone. Rapid Payments will never ask you for your password in an unsolicited telephone call or e-mail. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR MAINTAINING THE SECRECY OF YOUR UNIQUE PASSWORD AND ACCOUNT INFORMATION AT ALL TIMES.
If you are a legal entity and not an individual, we will liaise only with your named contact or alternative contact provided by your named contact. It is your responsibility to let us know of any changes to your named contact.
HOW WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH OTHERS
1. We may share your personal information with:
- Rapid Payments Merchants, as described in clause 7 below, if you are a App User;
- the persons making payment to you, if you are a Merchant;
- service providers under contract who help with parts of our business operations (fraud prevention, bill collection, marketing, technology services). Our contracts dictate that these service providers only use your information in connection with the services they perform for us and not for their own benefit;
- financial institutions that we partner with to jointly create and offer products and services. These financial institutions may only use this information to market Rapid Payments-related products, unless you have given consent for other uses;
- credit bureaus to report account information, as permitted by law;
- banking partners as required by credit card association rules for inclusion on their list of terminated merchants (in the event that you utilise the Services to receive payments and you meet their criteria);
- companies that we plan to merge with or be acquired by. (Should such a combination occur, we will require that the new combined entity follow this Policy with respect to your personal information. If your personal information could be used contrary to this Policy, you will receive prior notice);
- law enforcement, government officials, fraud detection agencies or other third parties when –
- we are compelled to do so by a subpoena, court order or similar legal procedure;
- we need to do so to comply with any law; and/or
- we believe in good faith that the disclosure of personal information is necessary to prevent physical harm or financial loss, to report suspected illegal activity, or to investigate violations of our End User Agreement (if you are a App user), our Website Terms, or our General Terms;
- other third parties, with your consent or direction to do so;
Rapid Payments will not sell or rent any of your personal information to third parties for their marketing purposes and only shares your personal information with third parties as described in this Policy. Note however that if you open a Rapid Payments Account directly on a third party website or application, any information that you enter on that website or application (and not directly on our Website) will be shared with the owner of the third party website or application.
Rapid Payments may also or alternatively store your personal information on and transfer your personal information to locations outside of South Africa, for example in Ireland or Turkey. If the location is located in a jurisdiction that does not have substantially similar laws which provide for the protection of personal information, you consent to us transferring and storing your personal information in such jurisdiction provided that we will take the necessary steps to ensure that your personal information is adequately protected in that jurisdiction.
HOW TO ACCESS, CHANGE OR DELETE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
You can review and edit any of your personal information at any time by signing in, to your Account and clicking the My Profile menu in any of the Rapid Payments pages.
You also have the right to request access to your personal information, provided you provide us with proof of identity in a form acceptable to us. You may request that we (i) confirm, free of charge, whether or not we hold personal information about you; and (ii) provide you with record or a description of the personal information we hold about you, including information about the identity of all third parties, or categories of third parties, who have, or have had, access to the information, and we will do this within a reasonable time; at a prescribed fee; in a reasonable manner and format; and in a form that is generally understandable.
3. Deleting your information:
- Mobile App: Should you decide to delete your account/profile and related information from the App, you may do so by deleting the App from your device(s). You understand that by deleting the App, your profile/account details including any saved information, and any promotional offers received by you, will no longer be retrievable/accessible or editable by you. However, we make no representations or warranties that content or actions previously posted or embedded onto the App by you will be removed by a deletion of the App.
- Website account: You may request that your account is deactivated by emailing us on [email protected]
- Please note: Even after you have removed the App or requested that we deactivate your account on the Website, copies of that information may remain viewable elsewhere, to the extent it has been shared with others, it was otherwise distributed pursuant to User’s privacy settings, or it was copied or stored by other users, our merchants, and partners.
Certain information may be retained for legal purposes and will only be held for so long as required by applicable law.
3. Deleting your information:
Notwithstanding anything contained in this Policy regarding your information, the following information is not regarded as personal information for purposes of this Policy:
- Permanently de-identified information that does not relate and/or cannot be traced back to you specifically. We may compile, use, share and otherwise process such information as we deem fit.
- Non-personal statistical information collected and compiled by us. We own and retain all rights in such information.
- Information which you have provided voluntarily in an open, public environment or forum including (without limitation) any blog, chat room, albums, community, classifieds or discussion board. Because the information has been disclosed in a public forum, it is no longer confidential and does not constitute personal information subject to protection under this Policy. Since such public environments are accessible by third parties, it is possible that third parties may collect and collate and use such information for their own purposes and you should accordingly be careful when deciding to share any of your personal information in such public environments.
YOUR CONCENT TO THE PROCESSING OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
By accepting this Policy, you consent to our collection, storage, processing and disclosure of your personal information as described in this Policy, for so long as you are a registered Customer of our Services. Should you terminate your registration with us and close your Account, you consent to our retention of the information we have already collected from you for record-keeping purposes only in accordance with applicable law.
6. HOW YOU CAN CONTACT US ABOUT PRIVACY RELATED QUESTIONS
If you have questions or concerns regarding this Policy, or you are aware that a minor under the age of 18 has provided us with personal information, you should contact us by using the contact us link in any of the Rapid Payments pages or phoning us on 087 222 6954 (Rapid Payments) for local calls or +27 87 222 6954 (Rapid Payments) for international/local calls or mailing us at Suite 112, Private Bag, X18, Milnerton, 7435, or via email at [email protected]